Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Choral Speaking

Tuesday is when I stand at the gate to greet the morning students coming in. To my surprise, some of the afternoon students came in at early morning. They excitedly told me that there were going for the Sentul zone choral speaking competition at St. Mary and asked if I could go there to support them. I asked them what time they would be doing their presentation but they were not too sure. However someone volunteered the info that they were group No 11. I dared not make any promises as I foresaw plenty of work that morning because there were already 3 groups of people waiting to see me before I had walked to the gate.

I rushed through my work that morning which included paying a visit to the home of a student who had not turned up for exams for two days. It took me some time before I located her home. I spoke to both parents and brought the student in and we conversed about several issues in my car before we reached school. I sent her to her class and made sure she sat for the papers today.


While on the way to St Mary, I prayed I would be in time to catch my girls in action. I wanted to give them moral support and encourage my young girls by my presence. Upon reaching the hall, I immediately made a beeline for them. The girls and the teachers Pn Awatif and Pn Azzlina were very happy to see me. I was in time! They had not performed.

When the girls took the stage, I was delighted with their very sweet and fun and light hearted theme of a day at school. They made many laugh when they mimic the sounds of the 6 am alarm clock and the groans of five minutes more.Their voices were clear and I saw the fun they had as they presented. How glad I was that I had made it a priority to attend the choral speaking event. Nik Fatin, Natasya, Erica, Jer Fang and so many of them looked so sweet.




I saw many schools perform.Many were really of high standards. Many schools fielded older contestants.During the interlude where the judges finalised their marks and comments, Ms Goh Hai Bee, the Pengetua Cemerlang of St Mary gave us a beautiful tribute to Ms Elena Cooke, the lady who began choral speaking at the then BBGS school way back in the 1950's. Coincidentally Ms Cooke had gone home to glory on 2nd May and her funeral was held on 6th May. Ms Goh spoke of how important it was to be choral speaking and not choral shouting nor choral drama. She taught of how important it was to show facial expression as we spoke and how important enunciation was.Ms Goh stressed how choral speaking was a great fun tool to improve our mastery of the English language.

The choral speaking competition was a fitting tribute to the legacy Ms Cooke had left when she served as a the principal of BBGS from 1958 to 1977. She spoke about Ms Cooke enjoyed sketching and had a deep love for cats. During the refreshment break, I was humbled to hear from one of the judges Ms Meera, how Ms Cooke had fetched her to school for one year while she was in Form 5. Ms Cooke would always sing hymns . I compared what I had done the previous two days a pale shadow to what Ms Cooke had done as a principal. I had merely visited the homes of two errant students and brought them to school in my car for just two days. Ms Cooke had ferried Ms Meera for a whole year. I also remembered Ms Moey Yoke Lai, Ms Cooke protege had testified that she stayed with Ms Cooke for a period of time before her MCE exams. What a loving principal Ms Cooke was and she had left a very rich legacy. Today in fact all the judges who are professional corporate women of high standing are all ex BBGS students and were very happy to serve as judges as a tribute to their beloved principal. Ms Cooke, even though you have passed on , yet you inspired me to be the best principal I can be despite the many challenges faced.

The judges came back with their scores. Best conductor went to a very dramatic Indian boy from SMK Segambut. I thought about the possibility of us winning. The other contestants were very good. Then the MC read.3rd place winner were read out...! Convent Sentul! Oh, we were delirious with joy! The girls screamed, rushed and hugged me and hugged one another! Such joy and such unexpected victory against many older and more experienced contestants.

2nd place went to St Mary and the winner was Sains Seri Puteri. I am very happy I made it a priority to attend the choral speaking competition despite the heavy workload.I have been encouraged and renewed to serve as Principal by the tribute to Ms Cooke and the wonderful legacy she left through her service, not just through choral speaking but through the students she had loved.

  





 

1 comment:

  1. Dear staff and students,

    the article is a bit cacat because I still don't know to editin this new blog format. If somebody knows, kindly educate me.

    ReplyDelete